Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Artist: Jethro Tull
Album: Thick As A Brick
Genre: Progressive Rock
Year: 1972
Origin: UK

Jethro Tull is an amazing progressive rock band that hopefully everyone knows already. Aqualung is their masterpiece, but since my comrade Bart has already posted that one I'll share Thick As A Brick, which is also excellent but seems to be less well known. I suspect this is because it is really just one long composition broken into two parts to fit on a record. It's got some of Ian Anderson's trademark flute along with some occasional brass and a lot of great bass guitar parts. The album has a compelling concept about a young boy and his poem. This is from before the band's folk period (which is also quite good, I may post Minstrel in the Gallery sometime later).

receive album

4 comments:

Charles D. Ward said...

Ha, yes the Tull is magic.

I knew Thick as a Brick is one of, if not THE best of their records from a friend of mine, but the it's-all-just-one-big-song thing discouraged me from trying it for myself at the time - the period I was actively exploring 60s and 70s rock was also the period I was actively shaping my last.fm charts to my liking. Which is pathetic, I know that now. I'm sorry and I will so totally make up for it by indulging in this release.

TheChiefCommie said...

I find myself paying attention to my last.fm charts too much sometimes. But I think it usually encourages me to listen to a greater variety of music, which is more fun anyway.

Shane said...

Prior to getting my hands on TAAB, I had only listened to "Aqualung", and was disappointed. Hopefully, this one will be better. The fact that the record is 2 20-minute tracks also helps, as I am a HUGE fan of extended songs.

TheChiefCommie said...

It's hard for me to imagine being disappointed in Aqualung! But hopefully you'll enjoy Thick As A Brick more anyway!