Monday, March 2, 2009

K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philospher


Artist: K'naan
Album: The Dusty Foot Philosopher
Genre: Hip-Hop
Year: 2008
Origin: Canada

K'naan is an African-Canadian rapper, originally from Somalia. His vocal style is unique (in my limited hip-hop experience anyway), giving me the feeling that he is just having a conversation. This leads me to think he doesn't take himself as seriously as most rappers, though his rhymes are excellent and his beats fresh (and he does give the occasional trash-talk). A lot of his music relates to Africa and being a refugee, with an insightful global perspective. Musically he also has a lot of rock/pop leanings on this album, particularly with the amazingly catchy If Rap Gets Jealous.

receive album

3 comments:

Charles D. Ward said...

The album art is genius, and since you mentioned Keny Arkana (omg! she rules) I'll trust you blindly on this one.

TheChiefCommie said...

I have to say, this isn't nearly the full-album experience that I get from Keny Arkana, but it does have a fair number of standout tracks in a similar musical vein.

Unknown said...

You wanna check out the live album if you haven't. Dusty Foot on the Road, I believe it is called. K'naan is pretty great.